Thursday, May 14, 2009

Behind Every Great Man

There's a great woman...

Cliche terms work my nerves a bit; but, this one always sticks for me.

Just think of super creative, brilliant, crazy nuts, like Francis Ford Coppola. His wife Eleanor Coppola has been puttin up with him since 1963. Imagine, the pain, laughter, rewards and creativity between the two of them. She's endured many long nights with no phone call, weeks away while she was probably could have really used him at home etc, I mean this is all in my head, but I think I'm callin this like Babe Ruth. I bet she's funny and sharp, he probably admires tht most about her. She looks pretty low maintenance too, and I don't mean that in a bad way, but I admire that in women. I think I am, some may argue that, I have my rituals, but I'm defintely a uniform girl (wear the same things all the time) and relish in my routines...

Anyways, I think it's funny that she's 4 years older than him and Irish American. Opposites attract, there, I used another cliche term.




Just for shits and giggles (there another one) here's the supposed origin of the behind every great man quote.

The first printed citation I can find is from the Texas newspaper The Port Arthur News, from February 1946. This was headed - "Meryll Frost - 'Most courageous athlete of 1945'":

"As he received his trophy, the plucky quarterback unfolded the story of how he 'came back'. He said 'They say behind every great man there's a woman. While I'm not a great man, there's a great woman behind me.'"

via phrases.org.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

ALL PHOTOS UNLESS OTHERWISE INDICATED ARE NOT TAKEN OR OWNED BY ME. THEY ARE USED SOLELY FOR THE PURPOSE OF DISCUSSION AND COMMENT. THESE IMAGES ARE NOT INTENDED FOR ANY COMMERCIAL PURPOSE